/_ Title: Machine Translation Sort: 2 _/
Typically, machine translation (MT) is used to pretranslate texts that the human translator has to post-edit, i.e. correct the mistakes that the machine made. Lilt replaces post-editing with interactive and adaptive machine assistance and provides an entirely different experience.
The core technology is an interactive, adaptive MT system that learns and adjusts in real-time from human feedback and/or existing translation memory (TM) data.
The unique characteristics and benefits of Lilt MT are:
- Interactive - Interactive MT is more accurate because it can observe what the translator has typed and update the suggestions based on all available information. The user interacts with the MT within a sentence by accepting or rejecting words or phrases and thus triggering refinements of the MT suggestions for the remaining sentence.
- Adaptive - Adaptive MT learns in real-time and allows the system to progressively provide better suggestions to human translators, and higher quality for fully automatic translation.
- Real-time adaptation: Each new translation helps Lilt adapt both the Editor and the Lexicon to the translator's style and field of specialization. It also saves time by reducing the repetition of mistakes that were already corrected.
- Customization: For best results, TMs should be uploaded to give Lilt a head start. This builds a custom MT system on top of our pre-trained baseline MT engines. Training the custom MT requires zero configuration and it continues to automatically train through the real-time adaptation - no manual syncs or re-trainings needed!
- Integrated - A Lilt Memory effectively integrates MT, TM and TB into one controlled interface that can be accessed via the web app or API. The Memory always provides the best suggestions based on all three components and indicates from which compontent the suggestion is coming from. This gives the human translator more control over the translation process - no pre-translation steps!